Sunday, June 8, 2008

Mission Complete!

I did it!
On Sunday, June 8th I completed what I set out to do for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society and Team in Training - raise money for a good cause and complete the King's Trail Olympic distance triathlon in Maui. KC's work schedule conflicted with the Team's training schedule, but he trained on his own and completed the race too!

The triathlon was an awesome, incredible challenge. More important, thanks to your generosity I raised over $8,000 for The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society so far, and donations are still coming in—THANK YOU! Together with the other 260 Team In Training participants at the King's Trail Triathlon, we raised over $1.2 million for blood-related cancer research and patient services. Your contributions are bringing us closer to a cure!

The Race
The race was a blast. And thanks to the Team in Training coaches, I was very prepared for it. We swam 1.5K (.9 mi), biked 40K (24.8 mi), and ran 10K (6.2 mi). My official time, based on the chip on my ankle, was 3:10:53. KC's official time was 3:13:05. While it was a not-so-secret goal of mine to finish faster than KC, a more exciting feat is that I came in 3rd place (out of 32) in my division (women 35-39 years old)!

I have posted some photos from the race at http://picasaweb.google.com/gretchencorbin/KingSTrailTriathlon2008. I will post a more detailed re-cap of the race on my training blog, hopefully within a week - but first, I have a few work deadlines to meet.

The race is not over . . .
I may have crossed my finish line, but the race is not over for the thousands of people who are battling cancer. If you didn't have a chance to contribute, it's not too late! The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society has a constant need for funding. You can submit donations through my personal fund raising site through July 8th. http://www.active.com/donate/tntgsf/GretchenCorbin

Thank you
I could not have done all of this without you! Thank you so much for your support and encouragement throughout my training.

With love and gratitude,
Gretchen

P.S. I highly recommend the Team In Training program. Participate in a triathlon, run or walk a full or half marathon, or cycle a 100 mile century ride. You CAN do it!

No comments: