Today is supposed to be a track workout day. But the sun broke through late this morning and the rest of the week is supposed to be quite rainy, so I decided today would be the best day for a swim workout. (most pools near our house are outdoor pools)
Here is the swim workout I was supposed to do this week:
| WARM UP | Drill #1 | 100 | EZ | |
| Drill #2 | 100 | EZ | ||
| Drill #3 | 100 | EZ | ||
| Drill #4 | 100 | EZ | ||
| MAIN SET | Swim | 100 | L 4-5 | RI :20 |
| Drill | 100 | EZ | RI :20 | |
| Repeat main set 3-4 x | Build | 100 | L 5-6 | RI :20 |
| COOL DOWN | Swim | 100 | EZ | |
| TOTAL | 1400 - 1700 |
Warm up drills are always done in the pattern of drill 25, swim 25, drill 25, swim 25
During main set of 100 Drills, do drills #1 through #4 in order (25 for Drill #1, 25 for drill #2, etc)
For the Build in the main set, increase your speed for each lap (or 25) you complete. You should be going fast for the last lap !
But what I ended up doing was:
The warm up I did correctly. During the main set, I did 200s instead of 100s for all portions. I added in alternating 25 swims during the drill portion. And no wonder the builds seemed extra tiring! It wasn't that I misremembered the workout; I was just being silly about how I translated laps into 100s.
And in my first time through the main set, I repeated the drill portion thinking that was the only part to repeat. then I realized my mistake at the end of the 2nd drill set. So then I went on to the build portion. In my 2nd pass through the main set, I just skipped the drills having done them twice in the first main set. The 3rd time through, I did the main set correctly. I didn't do a 4th time through as it seemed the workout was taking me a lot longer than it was supposed to. And then it was during the cool down that I realized I was miscounting my 100s.
I did 200 cool down because I remembered that part of the instructions incorrectly.
For someone with a degree in mathematics, I sure can't count. Next time I'm printing out the workout and bringing it with me to the side of the pool. This whole prescribed workout thing is throwing me off.
And since one of our cars is in the shop and KC is gone from the house today, I biked to the pool. It is only 2 miles each way. Downhill to the pool; uphill back. I rode my road bike to get more steep hill time on it. It took me 9 minutes on the way and 12.5 minutes on the way back. I've got the bike computer all dialed in so figuring the bike part doesn't require any advanced thinking on my part. phew
No comments:
Post a Comment