Friday, February 22, 2008

Yoga & Track Workout

summary: 45 min yoga, 25 min bike (4 miles), 56 min run & strength work (3.75 miles)

Today was supposed to be a rest day. But I was feeling kind of "off" yesterday, so I rested yesterday. I wasn't sure what activity I'd be able to do today, so I started the day off with 45 minutes of yoga. It's been over 3 weeks since I've done any yoga and I really needed it.

By mid-day, the rain cleared up and the sun even came out for a bit. So I went to the track to do this week's workout. I was worried about doing the track workout on Friday because tomorrow (Sat) is a group swim/run workout. But the coach emailed us warning that this weekend's run & bike workouts could be canceled due to rain. So I figured I'll get my running in while it is nice. I don't quite understand why they cancel workouts for rain. I doubt they cancel the triathlon if it is raining! Maybe that's the Seattle girl in me talking.

Oh, and I'm still car-less, so I biked to the track, which is next to the pool I swim in (on UC Berkeley's Clark-Kerr campus). I rode my mnt bike today because I didn't want to have to wear my bike clip shoes & then switch to running shoes. It made me realize how much more comfortable I am on my mountain bike compared to my road bike. It probably has a little to do with the geometry differences of the bikes, but also a lot to do with how little time I spend on the road bike. Guess I need to put more "time in the saddle."

Here's the track workout:

Week 4 Track Workout: SPORT SPECIFIC STRENGTH CIRCUIT TRAINING:

WARM UP: 10 to 15 min easy run or run/walk + stretch (I did 3 laps figuring my bike ride was part of the warmup)

WORKOUT Details: All groups will complete each station 2 times. Due to the wet ground, we have a little more running and less time on the ground. When running...remember 4-5 RPE! (Rate of perceived effort)

SWIM STATION

1) 8 - 20 Push Ups
2) 10 - 25 Superman Back Extensions (lift right arm/left leg together, then left arm/right leg together)
3) 10 - 25 Squats
4) Run at 4-5 RPE
Sprint/Level 1 Olympic - 1 lap
Olympic Level 2 & 3 - 2 laps
(I did 2 laps first set, 1 lap second set)
Half Ironman - 2 laps


BIKE STATION

1) 10 - 24 Lunges
2) 8 - 20 Close Hand Push Ups
3) 2 x 50 yard Cross Overs (new)
4) Run at 4-5 RPE
Sprint/Level 1 Olympic - 1 lap
Olympic Level 2 & 3 - 2 lap
(I did 2 laps first set, 1 lap second set)
Half Ironman - 3 laps


RUN STATION

1) Front/Left/Right Bridges (hold for 30-60sec)
2) 2 x 40 ytd Skipping
3) 50 yds Heel & 50 ytds Toe Walks
4) Run at 4-5 RPE
Sprint/Level 1 Olympic - 1 lap
Olympic Level 2 & 3 - 2 laps (I did 2 laps first set, 1 lap second set)
Half Ironman - 3 laps

They didn't specify cool-down, but I assumed 10-15 minutes. I did 3 easy laps & then biked home. The rain started up again during my cool-down. But by the time I got home, the sun was peeking out again.

No comments: